Who we are
Gas Industry Company Limited (Gas Industry Co) was established in 2004 as the ‘industry body’ under Part 4A of the Gas Act 1992 (Gas Act).
Our role as the industry body and co-regulator is to:
- develop arrangements, including regulations where appropriate, which improve:
- consumer outcomes;
- the operation of gas markets; and
- access to infrastructure
- develop these arrangements with the principal objective to ensure that gas is delivered to existing and new customers in a safe, efficient, reliable, fair and environmentally sustainable manner; and
- oversee compliance with, and review such arrangements.
When recommending industry arrangements to the Minister of Energy and Resources, Gas Industry Co takes into account the objectives of the Gas Act and the 2008 Government Policy Statement on Gas Governance (GPS).
Our objectives are to:
- promote efficient, competitive, and confident gas markets;
- facilitate efficient use of, and timely investment in, gas infrastructure;
- deliver effectively on our accountabilities as the industry body; and
- develop and communicate the role of gas in meeting New Zealand's energy needs.