Staying safe around gas
What to do in an emergency
If you smell gas or think that you may have a gas leak somewhere, get outside immediately and contact your gas retailer or a gas fitter. Refer to your gas bill to check who your retailer is or go to our list of retailers.
Here are some tips you need to stay safe around gas:
- open your windows and doors to let air in
- ensure all gas appliances are turned off
- turn the gas off at your mains where possible
- do not turn lights on or off and avoid using other electrical switches and appliances
- do not smoke or light a match
- extinguish any other naked flames
- do not try to investigate the problem or fix a leak/faulty appliance yourself
More safety information around gas can be found on WorkSafe's website here.
Your network provider may occasionally have to interrupt the supply of gas to your property. Reasons for this can include network capacity constraints, high system demands, testing and other emergency situations.
Other sources of safety information
To find an appliance repairer, or more information on gas safety, click on the following: